The 1st ISO 9001:2015 MRC meeting which was chaired by the University Vice-Chancellor Prof. Teresa Akenga was held on Monday, 6th August 2018 at 9.00 Am at the University Council Boardroom. The meeting was the first MRC meeting since UoE began implementing the ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems Certification (QMS) under the revised standard. The meeting sought to adopt the reviewing of key inputs and outputs pertaining the process of transitioning from ISO 9001:2008 QMS to ISO 9001:2015 QMS.
As the chair of the MRC meeting, the Vice-Chancellor reiterated that the University Council and University Management Board were committed to the transition process from ISO 9001:2008 QMS to ISO 9001:2015 QMS. She urged the MRC members to actively participate and deliberate on the same to ensure that the transition is successful before the deadline given by certification body elapses. She also highlighted that there is need for all heads of Units to play a central role in the implementation of the new standard within their respective units.
Within the adoption review of inputs and outputs, the following inputs were deliberated;
- Action review from previous management review were deliberated, and the MRC meetings were set to be held thrice in a semester.
- Changes in the external and internal issues relevant to the QMS.
- Performance and effectiveness of QMS with inclusion of trends such as;
- Customer satisfaction and feedback.
- Quality objectives.
- Process performance and conformity to products and services.
- Status of non-conformity and corrective actions.
- Monitoring and measuring results.
- Audit results and performance of external providers.
- Aspects to do with adequacy of resources,
- Effectiveness taken to address risks and opportunities,
- Opportunity for improvement.
Within the review of outputs, the MRC meeting deliberated on;
- Opportunities to enhance services related to customer requirements,
- Improvement of the effectiveness of the QMS,
- Assignment of resources to improve the QMS process.
The Vice-Chancellor further highlighted that the 1st pre-Certification Audit which will be carried out by the Kenya Bureau of Standards would be done on 10th August, 2018. She therefore called on all the heads of quality units to be vigilant and ensure that the entire exercise is done successfully.