Prof. Ezekiel Kiprop,
Dean, School of Science.
P.O. Box 1125
The School of Science aims at producing graduates with practical and intellectual skills appropriate to the needs of the present and future Kenyan society. The School equips its students with skills appropriate for the transfer of modern information technology. It seeks to be a world class centre in pursuit of scientific knowledge. The School consists of the following four Departments:
Chemistry and Biochemistry, Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science and Biological Sciences.
The School has highly qualified and experienced staff in Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, Mathematics, Biochemistry and Computer Science.
The School has active linkages with many local and International Institutions including KEMRI, KEBS, Uppsala University (Sweden), University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa), Abdus Salam International centre for Theoretical Physics (Trieste, Italy), Louisiana State University (USA), National Laser Centre (Pretoria, South Africa), Indiana (USA), Tea Research Foundation, Food and Agro-Chemical company (Chemilil).
Research and Extension
The Staff in the School are actively involved in a broad range of research projects including the following:
●Computer Simulation of Properties of Strong Materials and Materials for Solar Energy Applications
● Natural Products for Lead Identification
● Drug Design and Development
● Research in Groundnuts
● Research in Fingermillet, Maize and Sorghum
● Fusarium Diseases of Cereals and Legumes
● Formulation of Surfactants, Electrochemical Effluent Clarification and heavy metal speciation.
● Solid State Structure Elucidation & Kinetics, Inorganic Synthesis and Material Science.
● Identification and Management of plant and animal pests.
Our graduates are working in key positions not only in Kenya but in Africa and the rest of the World. Over the years, the School has produced key personnel for Government, Non-Governmental Organizations and the private sector.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in any of the following areas:Mathematics, Botany, Physics, Zoology and Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Analytical Chemistry with Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Animal Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Science in Entomology and Parasitology
- Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology and Biosafety
- Bachelor of Science in Ethnobotany
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Applied Statistics with Computing
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science
- Bachelor of Science in Informatics
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technonolgy
- Bachelor of Science with Education
- Biology major with Chemistry/ Mathematics/Computer Studies/ Geography minor
- Chemistry major with Biology/ Mathematics/ Physics/Computer Studies minor
- Mathematics major with Chemistry/ Physics/Computer Studies minor
- Computer Studies major with Mathematics /Chemistry/Physics/ Biology minor
- Physics major with Chemistry/ Mathematics/ComputerStudies minor
M.Sc. PROGRAMMES (2years)
- Chemistry: Analytical, Organic, Physical, Inorganic Chemistry
- Physics: Theoretical Physics, Electronics, Materials Science,
- Renewable Energy (Photovoltaic and wind)
- Mathematics: Pure and Applied Mathematics, Biostatistics
- Zoology: Animal Ecology, Entomology, Parasitology, Animal
- Botany: Plant Taxonomy, Plant Ecology, Genetics, Plant
- Physiology, Phycology, Plant Pathology
- Master of Science in Microbiology
- Master of Science in Mycology
Ph.D. PROGRAMMES (3 years)
- Mathematics: Applied Mathematics, Biostatistics
- Zoology: Entomology, Parasitology, Animal Physiology, Animal Ecology
- Botany: Plant Taxonomy, Plant Ecology, Genetics, Plant Physiology, Plant Pathology
- Physics: Theoretical Physics, Nuclear Physics, Renewable Energy, Electronics, Materials Science, Computational Physics
- Chemistry: Organic, Inorganic, Physical, Analytical Chemistry