On Tuesday, February 6th, 2018, the Directorate of Industrial Links, Partnerships and Collaborations hosted Prof. Henrietta Moore from the University College of London and Mr. Timothy Kipruto, the Director of Marakwet Research Station, who paid a courtesy call on the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Teresa Akenga.
The visit originated from the MoU of collaboration which was signed on July 28th, 2017. The parties had agreed to implement some preliminary overarching areas which include:
- Environmental Management
- Enhancing capacity for students training at UoE and University College of London
- Green Economy
Prof. Moore, in her remarks advised there were new opportunities for collaboration between the Institute of Global Prosperity, which is within the University College of London, and the County Government of Elgeyo Marakwet. These areas include:
- Research on the effect of environmental degradation on environmental loss and biodiversity
- Research on traditional medicinal plants and effect on human, animal and nutritional health
- The seed policy in agriculture
- Opportunities for increased funding for research to UoE
The Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Teresa Akenga, as she welcomed Prof. Moore, offered the institutions’ support stating that environment management and green economy is in line with one (1) of the four (4) pillars of the national government which is food security.
In attendance from UoE was Prof. Pius Kipkemboi - Ag. DVC (A&F), Prof. Elizabeth Omami – Ag. DVC (ASA), Prof. Violet Mugalavai – Director ILPC, Prof. Vincent Sudoi – Dean, School of Environmental Studies, Prof. Lazare Etiegni – Dean, School of Natural Resource Management, Dr. Nicholas Rop – HoD, Seed, Crop and Horticultural Sciences and Dr. Wilson Kipkore
Click on photo to enlarge